Mission, Vision, Guiding Principles and Goals
Bike East Bay promotes healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safe, fun and accessible.
The East Bay is a leader for innovative and accessible bikeways and streets that meet the needs of all users. Bicycling is a mainstream, comfortable and safe choice for people of all cultures, ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Bicycles are well integrated into the transportation system and are a key part of our thriving communities.
- We commit to improving access to biking, walking and transit, with particular attention to communities and areas that have been underserved.
- We promote bicycling as a way to improve the health, economic vitality, and happiness of our communities.
- We work in partnership with the private and public sectors to make our streets and communities strong, sustainable and accessible.
- We are passionate about increasing the number of people who ride bicycles safely, confidently and knowledgeably.
- We foster collaboration, inclusion and capacity building within communities, work with diverse groups for effective change, and value ongoing listening and learning from our community stakeholders.
- We are fiscally, ethically, and environmentally responsible with our resources and in our work.
Bike East Bay believes transportation justice is an essential part of our work as bicycle advocates. Read our statement of Values for Equity and Social Justice.
Overarching goal: Increase the number and diversity of people biking.
- Support the development of an extensive and seamless network of bike facilities that collectively makes bicycling an attractive option for people of all abilities and experience.
- Cultivate street design that integrates bicycle access as a part of making streets safer for all and creating lively and liveable public spaces.
- Build partnerships and collaborate around community issues. Cultivate a community-driven transportation planning process.
Overarching goal: Overcome barriers to bicycling via programs educating all road users.
- Continue to provide abundant free bicycle education programs for all ages.
- Improve and develop programs, curricula and instructors to respond to and serve the needs of all communities we represent. Develop ongoing feedback loops with our communities that inform our programming.
- Build partnerships to increase the reach of our education programs with law enforcement, schools, riding clubs, employers.
Overarching goal: Build strong and collaborative relationships with representation from all East Bay communities.
- Staff, board, members and volunteers work together to ensure Bike East Bay has the political clout and financial resources to be effective advocates.
- Provide training and support for members to take leadership and ownership in advocacy, community organizing, and fundraising.
- Build community and power by centering the voices and experiences of people of color, people with fewer resources, women and other groups that have been historically excluded by bicycle advocacy and transportation planning.
Click here for more information on our current strategic planning process.